Saturday 25 February 2017

A digital painting study of Joseph Zbukvic's work

As part of the 2d background project we've been set we have to draw inspiration from an existing painter, I have chosen Joseph Zbukvic as my source of inspiration as I really like the sense of atmosphere in his work. I think it lends itself quite well to animation as he does a really good job of telling stories and conveying mood using color. For example the painting I attempted to replicate on the right conveys quite a miserable tone, this comes from the very drained color pallete, the only bright colors are the reflections in the water coming from various sources of light and the shops canvas. This stark contrast draws attention to the lack of color in other areas and pushes the dreary atmosphere by implying that the floor is wet with the lights. It's also interesting to note that the colors tend to merge together in a way, they're fairly close together which creates a link between the miserable weather and the population of the town. Speaking of the population, the people put into the painting all seem to be trying to get out of the cold, hunched over or holding an umbrella nobody is hanging around to chat, further pushing the mood of the piece.

I attempted to replicate the painting in photoshop, as I don't have any history with painting at all really, so I have some learning to do. I think looking back some glaring issues are the form, there are more clear edges or borders as there is in the original painting, and obviously I'm missing a lot of elements, like the people and cars, and detail on the buildings. Moving forward with digital painting I'm going to focus on tying down specific forms and shapes rather than general splashes of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment