Monday 30 April 2018

Rat Plans ft. Self Doubt

With second year ending I have all summer to ready my pitch for third year. It's something I've been thinking about since knowing I was coming to Falmouth and it feels like there is a lot of pressure to make it the best thing I can achieve.

Because of this I have never been able to convince myself any of my stories are worth developing and have this moment of panic where I feel like I'm running out of time before third year and this isn't worth following up on, and so I switch to a different idea. In reality this just wastes more time as I've learnt how much time and effort it takes to develop a story and it doesn't help constantly resetting in the hopes of a stronger starting position.

During the pre-production module last term I began working on a story which I thought would be appealing to the tutors, a piece set historically with an art style grounded in that time and a story that was attempting to comment on an issue that was important to me. But it felt like a chore, I had very little art for it and I wasn't motivated to make anymore, it wasn't something that I wanted to make. Which is why I decided to develop a story based on a sketch I did whilst procrastinating from the first one. The sketch was of a rat dressed like a pirate and I thought it was kind of funny and I like rats.

And now I sit here, weeks after term has ended, and my main character Pokey is still what I find myself drawing every day. Even now I have my doubts about this project, it maybe not being as action orientated as the things I'd like to produce or that it really isn't saying anything deep like all the short films our tutors show us in lectures but I am committed to my rat story. I think working past self doubt is all a part of the writing process and a healthy part of developing a fleshed out story.

So with that in mind I have chosen to spend this summer continuing to develop my story, 'Rat Trap' to make it as visually and narrative engaging as possible. And I hope I never get sick of drawing fat little rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment